110 Years of Friendly Competition

The Hawthorn Tennis Club has been in existence since 1905; it is one of the oldest tennis clubs in Melbourne. The Club began with 3 courts in Linda Crescent Hawthorn, near Glenferrie Railway Station, as part of the Hawthorn Sports Grounds, before relocating to Swinburne Avenue in 1962.

A summary of major achievements and milestones over the past 110 years;

  • 1905 - Club formed with 3 asphalt courts
  • 1906 - First pennant match
  • 1908 - Grass court
  • 1909 - Club wins first pennant
  • 1924 - Lights on four courts
  • 1940 - Two porous courts; one of these converted from grass
  • 1946 - Council allowed Sunday play, lights removed
  • 1948 - All four courts porous
  • 1962 - Move from Linda Crescent to Swinburne Avenue - six courts
  • 1968 - Rebuilding after fire destroyed the Clubhouse
  • 1973 - Construction of the 7th court
  • 1980 - First A grade team for 50 years
  • 1981 - Lights on two courts
  • 1982 - 20 sqm Clubhouse extension
  • 1983 - Membership reaches record 530
  • 1992 - Effective lighting on all four northern courts
  • 1995 - Southern courts rebuilt
  • 2002 - Landscaping of area east of Clubhouse
  • 2004 - Major flooding event - floods over 3 ft deep on northern courts and significant damage to the clubhouse resulted in required renovations.
  • 2005 - Club's Centenary
  • 2008 - Recycled water facilities installed in response to the drought/water restrictions. Water from court runoff and Clubhouse roof now used for court watering and toilets.
  • 2014 - Clubhouse undergoes major renovation
  • 2015 - New Club logo launched